Hope you’re doing well! I’m back again with tons of interesting finds. This week is full of new tech news and some really cool gadgets.
On another note, I read a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson this week that really made me reassess my mindset. He said:
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.
I found myself arguing with Ralph (yes, in my mind we’re on a first name basis.) But the more I let my brain digest it, the more I agreed and realized how important the “you decided to be” is to the quote. It then reminded me of another quote that I’ve seen attributed to many sources, “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right.”
The key is deciding who the person is you want to be. Once you have that, every decision made, action taken, and word spoken should be viewed through the lens of that person. Does this choice/word/etc. move me closer or further from that person.
It’s quite liberating when you think about it. It’s much easier to say yes or no and feel confident in your decision. As I’ve been mulling it over, I’ve definitely removed some things from my daily routines and added others.
Take some time this week to think about the person you want to be. What things are you doing that are actually preventing you from becoming that person? What things do you need to give a higher priority than you’re currently giving?
I believe you can be that person! Jump in our Build with Me Discord and share with us how you’re working to make that person your destiny.
See you next week!
- The Big Misconception About Electricity: I’ve seen this video multiple times, but it blows my mind every time I watch it. Thanks @solenberg for sharing in the Build with Me Discord this week.
- Supabase Launch Week: Supabase is dropping banger after banger this week. Adding Hugging Face, data migrations & branching, and a really cool AI SQL editor.
- Deno SaasKit: Deno 2 is coming soon, but this template built with Fresh & Deno is pretty nice for spinning up quick MVPs of a SaaS. Get those ideas out there!
- The Loss of Bram Mooleanaar, creator of VIM: Whether you use VIM or not, all dev communities are mourning the loss of one of our own this week.
- .NET 8 Preview 7: It was just a few weeks ago that we were talking about Preview 6. Nice updates for ASP.NET Core, .NET MAUI, and Visual Studio 2022.
- NEOREST NX2 Dual Flush Toilet: This is an absolute oddity. We’ve discussed bidets in the past, but how about a $21K+ toilet! I don’t even have the words…
- .NET Conf 2023: .NET Conf 2023 is coming November 14-16 and .NET 8 will be launching with it. Mark your calendars to watch and if you’d like to speak, you can submit a talk through August 31st. Let me know if you’re giving a talk there and we’ll be sure to let everyone know.
- Lightsaber Prop-Maker RP2040: 3D printing my own lightsaber? Shut up and take my money! I think I might make one of these for each of my kids.
- Keep Your GitHub Actions Secure: I love GitHub Actions and use them a ton for CI/CD workflows, but if you’re not paying attention, it’s super easy to include big vulnerabilities in them. Check out these 4 tips on how to secure your Actions.
- Standing Desk Mat: I’ve had a sit/stand desk for years. Normally standing for long periods isn’t a problem for me, but this mat looks amazing. It’s like a fidget spinner for your feet.
Build with Me Weekly
This week in the Build with Me Community:
Thankful Thursday Highlights
I’m thankful for my health after a bit of a heart scare recently.
I’m thankful for my sense of humour, my family, and friends.
I am thankful for my new 10K PB