This past week I spoke with several folks who are looking for engineering, developer relations or developer experience roles. The change in the job market has been dramatic over the past year. One thing that has stood out to me is the importance of community.
Other than my first job in engineering, every other position I’ve held has been due in some part to relationships I’ve built through the years. In larger cities, local meetups and conferences are an option for community, but as more and more people work remotely, in less populated areas, online communities are becoming more important.
Whether you’re on the hunt for a new role or will be one day, I want to encourage you to find a community of people that encourages you to learn and gives you opportunities to grow and help others.
As always, if there’s anything I can do to support you, feel free to reach out on Twitter (or X or whatever it is this week) or Discord. I’m @michaeljolley on both.
Catch you next week!
- DeskBoard Buddy: I’ve been eyeing this desktop dry-erase board for weeks. I don’t have room for it on my desk, but it’s been like an earworm that won’t get outta my head. It’s got me thinking I want my next desk build to include a dry-erase top.
- 8BitDo Retro Mechanical Keyboard & Mouse: Zac & Jack in the Build with Me Discord shared these 8-bit inspired devices that are making me feel super nostalgic. I spent so much time playing my classic NES back in the day.
- ASP.NET Micro Caching: A one-second cache? Why in the world would you want that!? Steve Ardalis tells us in his really interesting blog post.
- PHPSandbox: I’ve used CodeSandbox a ton, but now, PHP devs can play along with PHPSandbox. If you’re a PHP developer, I’d love to know what your experience is like with it.
- Type versus Interface: Matt Pocock has the best TypeScript content and resources, and this post is no exception. There has been a ton of confusion on when to use TypeScript types versus interfaces, and Matt gives a great overview of when to use each.
- Elon Musk buys AI.com: It’s only been 4 months since the creator of ChatGPT purchased AI.com for $11 million. Now it’s been purchased again, this time by Elon. Anyone fancy a new domain to sit unused in their registrar?
- NextUI Version 2.0 released: NextUI 2 seems to be a really nice jump. NextUI makes creating pretty Next apps a lot easier. Have you tried NextUI before?
- ExpressoTS: This TypeScript framework for server-side applications looks really cool. I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet, but I may have to try it out. Who knows maybe a new Twitch bot should be on the table. 😁
- IconBuddy: Looking for icons for your app? IconBuddy has over 180k open-source icons catalogued for you.
Build with Me Weekly
This week in the Build with Me Community:
Thankful Thursday Highlights
I’m thankful for implementing a successful Rick-Roll! https://clips.twitch.tv/GrotesqueFunWombatFailFish-pDszii1TOAzY09y4
I’m thankful for my family putting up with me
I’m thankful for a hubby who makes me amazing breakfast while I’m stuck in meetings. Just makes my day.
— Mary Jo